Friday, July 6, 2007

Week 1, Thing 2: Pointers from Lifelong Learners

View problems as challenges-- in learning and in life!
This statement really struck me. In the past, I've mostly viewed problems as problems-- issues to be solved and moved on from. Considering a problem as a challenge-- now there's a novel idea with a much more positive outlook! This is an equally important thinking pattern to adopt when it comes to technology. I think I've resisted certains forms of new technology (mainly digital cameras of all things-- I can't say why, but maneuvering a digital camera just can't compare with the sensory experience of clicking madly away on a 35 millie!) because I've viewed the barriers to mastering said technology as problems instead of challenges-- deciphering an instruction manual, etc. Viewing such barriers as challenges to be overcome certainly puts a more productive spin on things!

Have confidence in yourself as a competent and effective learner
I think I can most relate to this pointer. Once I get myself in the right mindset (see above), I believe there's nothing I can't learn if I'm determined. I learned to drive, I learned to play the piano, I learned DIALOG-- I can learn this!

No comments: